Monday, March 31, 2008

"Happy too cakes to me!"

I stole the title from my friend's little girl. I guess she's learning different songs right now and that is her version of "Happy Birthday". So yeah, I copied a toddler. But let's face it, hers is much more creative and just makes more sense as a title.

Today was a good day. I turned 27 this year and I'm not going to lie, I feel a little older. I think it's because 27 is getting dangerously close to 20-10. It's official. I'm in my late twenties. Twenty-six can still be considered within the mid-twenties bracket, but 27...not so much.

I always feel quite a bit of anxiety around my birthday. Some of it has been caused by not really being content in where I am and some of it is caused by this horrible fear of mine that people who are important to me will forget my birthday. This year was different. I still had a little anxiety, but it wasn't too bad. I think it's partly due to the fact that I'm quite happy where I'm at right now. I really feel like I'm where I'm supposed to be. Of course there are a few things missing. Like a husband. **To all my friends who know some good, single men...don't be shy. Hook me up. But other than that, I'm happy AND pretty much everyone remembered my birthday.

March has been such a crazy busy month that I actually kinda forgot about my birthday. When it finally occurred to me that my birthday was this month, I freaked out momentarily because I thought it had already passed. Lucky for me, it hadn't. I vacillated between whether I should tell my roommates and bring it up to people or if I should just keep quiet. For awhile I had decided that I wasn't going to say anything, but then something occurred to me. Why would I want to keep my birthday a secret? My birthday is a celebration of the day I was born and that was a pretty great day. Just being born makes everyone great and I've been fortunate enough to have been able to do some pretty wonderful things. That's when it hit me. It would be wrong to not celebrate my birthday.

So here I am and my birthday is almost over. It was a great day and I am so blessed to be living this life that has been given to me. I'm happy. I'm content. I'm grateful. I'm excited to see and experience what this 27th year has in store for me.

Happy too cakes to me!

2 comments:

jaacs said...

LOVE it. Isn't she just the cutest thing ever?

I didn't forget that it was your birthday...I just forgot to call you. Likely story, eh? Ugh, I'm such a loser. Sorry! I'm glad it was a great day. Let me know when you are in town...and email me your number again since I managed to lose it before programming it into my cell. Doh!

mike and chenoa said...

Happy belated cakes to you Aimee!!!