Thursday, March 26, 2009

Who Needs Their Gall Bladder Anyway?

Today has been quite the day for me! I woke up to the most awful, hellish, stabbing, sharp, dull, cramping pain in my stomach this morning. It was so bad that I was literally screaming in pain. Poor Mae didn't know what to think. It wasn't getting any better and I was sweating buckets so I called my Mom at work so that she could come get me and take me to the ER.

Once we got there, they put me on a heavy duty Morphine-like pain killer which was really the highlight of my day. They also put a nausea medicine in my IV. After they took some blood tests and did an ultrasound, the doctor told my that I have gall stones. What I had this morning was a gall bladder attack. Apparently, these attacks are only going to get worse and more frequent and the only way to fix it is to have it removed.

It's actually a very simple (but insanely expensive) procedure which is often done as an outpatient procedure with a possibility of a night's stay in the hospital. Although it's a simple laproscopic operation, the recuperation time is about a week. This means no work and no school. Unfortunately, that's not really feasible for me right now so I've elected to wait to have the operation once the semester is done. In the meantime, I have a nice supply of Vicodin in case I have another attack. Hopefully, I'll be able to hold out until May. Otherwise, things are going to be crazy stressful from having surgery and missing a week's worth of school and work.

So yeah, how's that for an eventful Thursday?

2 comments:

SarahC said...

Aimee! That sucks! I'm so sorry ... I hope you don't have to use those vicodin. Ick. What a rotten way to spend a day.

jaacs said...

Ow-wee!! I can only imagine. Poor thing. I hope that you are feeling better and that you dont have another 'attack'. Yuck. Let us know if you need anything. Hang in there!